The Mpala Research Fund aims to support faculty members from all disciplines who are interested in exploring or pursuing research opportunities and/or teaching initiatives at the Mpala Research Centre. Faculty members from all disciplines are welcome to apply. We especially encourage applications from faculty members with interests in expanding the use of Mpala to fields in the humanities, social sciences, and engineering. In addition, administrative staff and administrative units of the University involved in or proposing service or experiential learning initiatives are also eligible.
All regular faculty members (senior lecturers, instructors, assistant professors, associate professors, and professors) and research scholars are eligible. Full-time lecturers and language lecturers are also eligible, provided their appointments for the award period have been approved by the Dean of the Faculty. Administrative staff and administrative units of the University involved in service or experiential learning initiatives are also eligible.
Proposals from all faculty, scholars and relevant administrative units will be considered. However, priority will be given to proposals submitted by faculty, scholars, and others who have not previously used Mpala as a research and teaching site.
2019 - 2020
- Vance Smith, English. The Persistence of the Middle Ages in Kenya's Land Use Rights
- Julien Ayroles & Josh Akey, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology & Lewis-Sigler Institute. Evolutionary functional genomics of the Turkana
2018 - 2019
- Rob Pringle, Corina Tarnita, Lars O. Hedin, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Climate Change in the Savanna Biome: Resolving the Interaction Between Biodiversity Loss and Ecosystem Carbon Exchange
- Theresa S. Thames, Religious Life. Education Essentials: Office of Religious Life Mpala Service-Learning Initiative
- Lars O. Hedin, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Biodiversity and Function of African Grassland and Fynbos Biomes
Further Information and Applications
If you are interested in more information about the fund or have a proposal and would like to apply, please contact the Associate Provost for International Affairs, Aly Kassam-Remtulla.