The provost serves as the chief academic officer of the University, and the academic affairs area within the Office of the Provost provides support and guidance to faculty and academic units in the planning and development of new initiatives and programs and in the ongoing support of existing ones. Responsibilities in this area include:
- Ensuring that academic proposals, initiatives, and plans have been coordinated across the appropriate academic administrative offices, including the Offices of the Dean of the Faculty, the Dean of the College, the Dean of the Graduate School, the Dean for Research, and the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences;
- Staffing the Academic Planning Group (APG), working with the senior academic officers of the university to identify and provide context and materials on agenda items, and to ensure follow-up and execution on decisions reached by the APG;
- Collaborating with the deputy provost for resource planning and deputy deans across the university to inform frameworks, analysis, and recommendations related to the continued enhancement of the university’s academic programs;
- Monitoring and enabling progress on major academic initiatives, particularly cross-cutting projects that do not have a natural, single academic home; and
- Enabling and assisting with the coordination of academic and educational outreach initatives.